La Estaca Port was declared of “General Interest” by order in May 1888. It was included in the Ministry of Public Works and an initial project was drawn up in 1909. After several ups and downs, work eventually got underway in 1914.
In the early 20th century, the harbour was located over a partially submerged sandbar, which was customarily used as a landing point. However, the advantage of the natural embankment made up for the difficulty of climbing the cliff that surrounded the harbour, which is why other natural jetties like La Caleta and Puerto Naos were also used.